This week we have a couple of events coming up that CCC has helped to support—Community Conversations: The Opioid Epidemic and Backyard Bash.
Community Conversations: The Opioid Epidemic
Join us for CCC Presents, as we co-host the Community Conversations on Thursdays in August. CCC is partnering with local congregations to facilitate non-religious and non-partisan conversations to build bridges through identifying common values while discussing tough topics. The conversation on August 9th from 7-8:30 PM at Cahoots Cafe will focus on the opioid epidemic.
Addictions, a problem the United States has faced for decades, has taken a sharply more lethal turn with the increased use of opioids obtained through one’s own prescriptions (e.g., Vicodin, Oxycodone, Percocet, morphine) and through other means (e.g., heroin, taking someone else’s prescription medication). Drug overdoses are now the leading cause of death among Americans under 50, with more than 64,000 deaths in the U.S. in 2016 and at least 2/3 of deaths from opioid overdose, according to the Centers for Disease Control. That is worse than the death toll at the peak of the HIV epidemic in 1995 and more than the number of US combat deaths in the entire Vietnam War.
Through the deliberative dialogue, participants will discuss the pros and cons of three different options for intervention:
- Option 1: Focus on Treatment for All
- This option says that, given the rising number of deaths from opioids, we must devote considerably more resources to treatment in order to make any real headway in turning around the epidemic.
- Option 2: Focus on Enforcement
- This option says that our highest priority must be keeping our communities safe and preventing people from becoming addicted in the first place.
- Option 3: Focus on Individual Choice
- This option recognizes that society cannot force treatment on people.
We hope you join us to share your views, find common values, build connections, and develop actionable solutions to some of the biggest problems our community faces.
The Backyard Bash is being held on August 11, 2018 from 12-6 PM behind Cahoots to help local families prepare for the school year. CCC members have made it a point to help with that aim through the donation of school supplies. Donations are needed of the following items: headphones (NOT Earbuds), notebooks (wire-bound and wide-lined), Ticonderoga #2 pencils, scissors (don’t forget the lefties), crayons (8 or 16 pack), folders, zipper bags and pencil bags.
Several members brought their donations to the last CCC General Meeting, and there are still several options to drop off donations:
- The Parish Office at St. Anthony’s Catholic Church 700 W Maumee St. Angola, Indiana
- Cahoots the day of the event
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll arrange a time and place to get the donations.
The Backyard Bash event is free and will feature food and music by local entertainers, including the Los Lemons, The Benefit, and Tom Adamson. We hope to see you there!